Blackberry Ginger Speculaas Danish Wreath
Recipe courtesy National Festival of Breads/Kansas Wheat Commission
- 3 ½ – 3 ¾ cups KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour divided
- ½ cup water
- 1 ¼ ounce package RED STAR® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast®
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk 115°F – 120°F
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp. KING ARTHUR® Speculaas Spice*
- ¾ tsp. fine sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
Blackberry Speculaas Filling
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. KING ARTHUR® Speculaas Spice*
- 2 Tbs. KING ARTHUR® Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup blackberry seedless jam or preserves
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped crystalized ginger
- ¾ cup halved fresh blackberries
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter softened
- 1 – 2 Tbs. whole milk
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Fresh blackberries
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- In small saucepan over medium heat, whisk 3 tablespoons flour and water until thick. Transfer to bowl of stand mixer. Let cool to 120°F.
- Using paddle attachment, stir in 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter, milk, egg, cornstarch, lemon zest, vanilla, Speculaas, salt and ginger; mix on low speed 2 minutes. Scrape bowl.
- Switch to dough hook; add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead 5 – 6 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover, let rise until doubled.
- Line an extra-large baking sheet with parchment, and place it on top of another extra-large baking sheet, to prevent over-browning of bottom crust. Grease the outside of a 3” oven-safe ramekin and invert into center.
- For filling: In small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, Speculaas, flour and zest until smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 20” x 12” rectangle. Spread filling over dough, then jam, leaving ½” border. Sprinkle on ginger and halved blackberries. Starting at the 20” side, roll dough into tight log; pinch edges to seal.
- Wrap log, seam-side down, around ramekin. Pinch ends together. Cut 12, 1 ½” slices, ¾ of the way to center leaving center circle attached. To form heart-shape rolls, twist first roll to the left, and place spiral facing up. Twist roll on the right of spiral to the right, and place spiral facing up. Repeat until 6 large hearts are formed. Cover; let rise until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 30 – 35 minutes until golden, rotating pan halfway through baking. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before sliding to rack. After 15 minutes, remove ramekin and parchment; let cool.
- For lemon glaze: In small bowl, whisk together ingredients and drizzle over wreath. Decorate with blackberries and thyme. Before serving, finely grate lemon over wreath. Store in refrigerator.
*To make your own Speculaas: Whisk together 2 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, ½ teaspoon ground white pepper (optional), ¼ teaspoon ground anise, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger and ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom. Store in sealable container.
Sodium: 134mgCalcium: 27mgVitamin C: 4mgVitamin A: 322IUSugar: 13gFiber: 1gPotassium: 62mgCholesterol: 38mgCalories: 159kcalTrans Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 6gFat: 9gProtein: 1gCarbohydrates: 28gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!