Brown Soda Bread
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 rounded tsp. salt
- 1 rounded tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups sour milk or buttermilk
- First, preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add most of the milk in one go. Working from the center, mix with your hand, and add more milk, if necessary. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead lightly, just enough to shape into a round. Flatten slightly to about 2 inches deep. Put onto a floured baking sheet.
- Mark with a deep cross and bake in the hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400°F for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bread is cooked and sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
- For scones, make the dough as above. Flatten the dough into a round about 1 inch deep. Cut into scones. Cook for about 20 minutes in a hot oven at 450°F.
For a richer soda bread, you can whisk an egg and/or 2 Tsp. melted butter into the buttermilk before mixing into the dry ingredients. Makes 12 scones
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!