Butter Pecan Bread
FOR THE BREAD:
- 2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
FOR THE BUTTER ICING (OPTIONAL):
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons cream or milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour and measure. Spray bottom of 9” x 5” loaf pan or silicone mini loaves bakeware with non-stick cooking spray. Place sheet pan under silicone bakeware.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in sugar and pecans.
- In small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk and butter. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan or silicone bakeware.
- Bake loaf 45 – 50 minutes; little loaves 13 – 15 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a wooden pick in center of loaf and it should come out clean. Another way to test for doneness is by checking the internal temperature using a food thermometer. Quick breads should register 200°F – 210°F. Cool 10 minutes; remove bread from pan. Allow mini loaves to cool for a few minutes then pop out onto cooling rack.
- Whisk together icing ingredients and drizzle on cooled loaf or mini loaves. For mini loaves, double icing.
- *Make your own buttermilk by adding 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice in a glass-measuring cup; add whole milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir to combine and let stand 15 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!