I added orange zest, pecans and a little rosemary to up the flavor quotient of these cranberry slice-and-bake bars that also reflect the colors of Christmas.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt, orange zest and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add in the flour until a soft dough forms. Stir in the cranberries, pecans and rosemary.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a rectangular block/log measuring about 6 by 3 by 1 inches. Wrap dough blocks in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°. Unwrap the blocks and cut into about 1/4-inch slices and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake for about 12 to 14 minutes or until just light golden, Cool on a wire rack.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!