Source Eat Wheat
Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fat free half-and-half
- 12 oz. fresh broccoli florets
- 5 oz. fresh shredded carrots
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 14 oz., 2 count packages of sourdough bread bowls
- Melt butter on medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and half-and-half. Simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli and carrots; simmer on medium-low for another 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Cut away a large hole in each bread bowl and fill with soup to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!