Creamy Turnip Soup
This easy turnip soup takes on a creamy texture from pureeing with the blender. Instead of soup and salad, try salad on soup by making one from the turnip greens (or fresh spinach) tossed in a light vinaigrette and serving directly on top of the soup.
- 4 medium turnips about 1 1/2 pounds, plus 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced turnip greens or spinach, divided
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus a pinch divided
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper plus a pinch divided
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 Tbs. thinly sliced scallion greens
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Peel and slice the turnips. Heat 1 Tbs. oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the turnips, rosemary, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the turnips are tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, toss the turnip greens (or spinach) in a medium bowl with carrot, scallion greens, vinegar, the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup in the pan using an immersion blender, or carefully transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth. Serve each portion of the soup topped with a generous 1/4 cup of the salad.
Sodium: 847mgCalcium: 51mgVitamin C: 20mgVitamin A: 966IUSugar: 5gFiber: 2gPotassium: 282mgCholesterol: 1mgCalories: 86kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 5gProtein: 2gCarbohydrates: 9gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!