Lazy Day Beef and Vegetable Soup
- 2 1/2 lbs. beef stew meat cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cans 14 to 14 1/2 oz. each reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can 15 oz. chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 can 14-1/2 oz. no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- shredded Romano cheese optional
- Combine beef, broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in 4 1/2- to 5 1/2-quart slow cooker; toss to coat well.
- Cover and cook on high 5 hours or on low 8 hours. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.)
- Cook’s Tip For young eaters, use no-added salt chickpeas/garbanzo beans rinsed and drained.
- Stir in mixed vegetables and pasta. Continue cooking, covered, 1 hour or until beef and pasta are tender. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Stir well before serving. Serve with cheese, if desired.
- Cook’s Tip For young eaters certain pasta can be hard to pick up prior to baby having the pincer grasp. Pieces of pasta about the size of an adult pinky finger are preferable early on in self-feeding. These include rigatoni, penne, cavatappi.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!