Chocolate lovers will have a merry holiday season with these tender, flavorful slices, dipped in rich melted chocolate that you can embellish with nuts, crushed peppermint or other candies.
- 1 Tbs. instant coffee crystals
- 1 tsp. water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 package semisweet chocolate chips 2 cups or 12 ounces
- 2 Tbs. shortening
- In a custard cup stir together coffee crystals and water until dissolved. In a large mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened.
- Add about half the flour and all of the sugar, cocoa powder, egg, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda and salt to the shortening mixture. Add the coffee mixture. Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat or stir in the remaining flour. Shape the dough into two 8-inch logs. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake in a 375° oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until tops look dry. Remove cookies and cool on a wire rack.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat chocolate chips and 2 Tbs. shortening over very low heat until just melted, stirring occasionally (or melt in a microwave-safe glass bowl in the microwave in 30-second intervals). Dip half of each cookie into chocolate mixture. Place on waxed paper and let stand until chocolate sets.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!