Whether made in a pretty mold or a bowl or piped into lettuce cups, this savory Salmon Mousse firms up with unflavored gelatin but retains a nice, creamy texture, and would be perfect for a special-occasion tea, luncheon or shower.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 21/4 tsp. 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 15 oz. can red salmon drained
- 1/4 chopped fresh dill
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- In a small mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice and allow to soften for about 5 minutes. Place, covered, in the microwave and heat for about 40 seconds. Cool for a few minutes, then stir in mayonnaise and sour cream.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine salmon, dill, shallot, sweet pickle relish, paprika and salt and pepper (to taste). Pulse several times until thoroughly mixed (but don’t overwork). Add gelatin mixture and pulse until all is combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold salmon mixture into whipped cream until combined.
- Transfer to oiled (with cooking spray) mold or bowl; smooth the top and refrigerate until firm, 2 to 3 hours. To unmold, submerge two-thirds of the mold in very hot water for 20 to 30 seconds, and immediately invert onto a serving platter. Garnish with watercress sprigs, thinly sliced cucumbers or lemon wedges. Serve with crackers or toasted slices of a small baguette.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!