Savory Asparagus and Cheese Bread Pudding
Crusty on the outside, creamy and cheesy underneath, this savory take on bread pudding is perfect for a spring brunch, lunch or light supper. A blend of cheeses, tangy and melty, as well as a rich custard, bring together cubes of French bread, fresh asparagus and mushrooms, all flavored with leeks, garlic and fresh herbs. You can also add chopped ham or crumbled bacon for an even heartier version.
- 1 lb. loaf French bread cut into cubes
- 2 leeks trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound 20 to 30 spears fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 ounces white mushrooms about 2 cups, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- 3 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Butter to grease the baking dish
- Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet and allow to dry overnight.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Sauté the leeks and garlic for 6 to 7 minutes, then add the asparagus and mushrooms. Season all with a little salt and pepper and cook for another few minutes until the asparagus is just tender. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss cheeses with chopped herbs.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and eggs, mustard and salt and pepper.
- Butter a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish. Place half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish. Top with half the sautéed vegetables, then half the cheese. Pour over half the milk/egg mixture. Repeat with another layer of bread, then vegetables and cheese. Pour over the remaining milk mixture, then press top of the casserole to soak up the custard. Allow the casserole to sit for at least 20 minutes before baking. It can also be made ahead by assembling and refrigerating for four hours or overnight.
- Bake the bread pudding at 350° for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and set. Allow it to stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Sodium: 857mgCalcium: 473mgVitamin C: 11mgVitamin A: 1689IUSugar: 10gFiber: 5gPotassium: 624mgCholesterol: 140mgCalories: 441kcalTrans Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 8gFat: 19gProtein: 24gCarbohydrates: 46gIron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!