Sunshine Chicken Pie
Glasco native Mary Lou Berndt’s national prize-winning recipe, is a re-imagined chicken pot pie, where the carrots add golden color to the biscuits serving as the top crust, and the bright peas are almost like a topping. When Berndt shared the recipe in a guest column she wrote in 1980 for The Salina Journal, she described the pie as “almost a one-dish meal,” but suggested adding a leafy salad and a light dessert of sparkling water poured over melon balls.
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 cups water about
- 3 celery tops
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup light cream
- 7 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground mace
- 7 Tbsp. butter
- 12 small onions cooked
- Carrot Biscuits: recipe follows
- 1 pkg. 10-oz. frozen peas, cooked, seasoned, buttered
- Place chicken in deep saucepan. Add water, celery, salt and bay leaf Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until a fork an be inserted in chicken with ease. Cool.
- Strain and reserve broth; add water, if needed to measure 2 cups liquid. Separate meat from bones. Discard bones and skin. Cut chicken in bite-size pieces and place in large baking pan or casserole.
- In small bowl, mix together cream, flour, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and mace; reserve.
- In medium saucepan, make sauce by melting butter over medium heat, gradually add flour mixture and chicken broth. Cook, stirring, about 7 minutes or until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Pour sauce over chicken, top with onions; then biscuits. Bake, uncovered, in 425-degree oven about 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden.
- To serve, place spoonful of peas in center of each biscuit.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!