Vanilla Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and heavy cream and heat just until the butter melts.
- In a medium (heavy bottomed) saucepan, combine sugar, water and lemon juice, heat over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring the syrup to a boil — without stirring, as this will cause the sugar to crystallize — until it begins to turn golden around the edges. Lower the heat and continue to boil until the syrup becomes a deep-golden color (watch for this, as this can happen quickly and you don’t want it to burn).
- Remove the pan of syrup from the heat and let it sit for about 30 seconds, then stir in the butter and cream mixture, being careful as this will bubble up in the pan.
- Return the pan to low heat and stir until all is thoroughly combined and just beginning to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sauce can be stored in a lidded jar in the refrigerator for up to a few weeks. If it solidifies, reheat at very low temperature, adding little water to thin it, if necessary.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!