Zucchini for breakfast! These light and lemony, delicate pancakes get their tender moistness from ricotta cheese and shredded zucchini. If you have never tried ricotta in your pancakes, you must!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini about 1 medium
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Butter for serving
- Maple syrup for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Dry the zucchini by spreading it out on a clean dish towel and rolling it up to gently press out excess moisture.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined, at least 30 seconds. Whisk the ricotta, milk, eggs, sugar, and lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Fold the flour mixture into the ricotta mixture, scraping the bottom of the bowl to incorporate all the flour. Fold in the zucchini.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-low heat. The griddle is ready to cook when a few water droplets scattered on the hot surface dance and evaporate quickly.
- For each pancake, use about 1/4 cup batter. Cook the first side until bubbles form on the surface and the edges start to look dry, about 3 minutes. Turn the pancakes, then continue cooking until nicely browned not the underside, about 2 minutes. Move to a platter and transfer to the oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining pancakes. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
Makes 12 4-inch pancakes
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!