Caramelized Sweet Onion Hummus
- 1 whole garlic head
- 4 Tbs. plus 1 tsp., extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 can 15 ounces chickpeas
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice about 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup tahini toasted ground sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Cut top of garlic head off and place cut-side down on pan; drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bake 20-30 minutes, or until garlic is soft. Once cool, squeeze garlic from each clove.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir onion frequently until slices begin to brown. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking until onions are soft and reach medium brown color.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas; reserve 3 tablespoons liquid.
- In food processor, blend chickpeas, reserved liquid, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, remaining olive oil and onions until combined and smooth. Serve with pita bread, veggies or crackers.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!