- 1 pound fresh ripe Roma tomatoes chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable juice such as V-8
- 1 cup cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper seeds and membrane removed, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- additional chopped cucumber or red onion for garnish optional
- Purée the tomatoes in the blender until smooth but still slightly chunky, working in a couple of batches, if necessary. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl, add the vegetable juice, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeño, lemon, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Put about 2 cups of the mixture in the blender and purée for about 20 seconds. Return to the bowl and stir. Cover and chill the soup for at least 2 hours or overnight (flavors improve with more chilling time). Serve topped with chopped cucumber or red onion as garnish. Makes 4 servings.
A traditional Spanish recipe, this raw soup of tomatoes and other veggies is served cold to refresh during the heat of summer.
Serving: 4gSodium: 583mgCalcium: 20mgVitamin C: 15mgVitamin A: 397IUSugar: 3gFiber: 1gPotassium: 164mgCalories: 22kcalSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 1gProtein: 1gCarbohydrates: 4gIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!