Jalapeño-Bacon Cheese Balls
- slices white sandwich bread crusts removed
- ½ cup whole milk scalded (180 F)
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2-3 Tbs. finely chopped jalapeño
- 3 slices cooked crispy bacon finely chopped
- 1 slice white sandwich bread crust removed, crumbled
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In medium saucepan, add bread slices. Pour scalded milk over bread and set aside until lukewarm. Place pan over low heat and stir with spoon until pasty. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese and flour. Blend egg into mixture, mixing well. Stir in jalapeño, bacon and breadcrumbs. Allow mixture to cool. Use a small cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon to shape into ¾-inch balls.
- In heavy, deep-fry pan, heat 2-inches oil to 350 F. Using a slotted spoon, lower one ball in the oil to see if it rapidly sizzles. Fry in batches of four, without over-crowding. Fry 1 ½-2 minutes; turning balls for an even golden brown.
- Remove balls from oil and place on paper towels to drain. Let oil return to 350 F before making the next batch. Check for doneness with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of cheese ball; it should register about 160 F. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. Yield: about 20 cheese balls.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!