- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites slightly beaten
- 2 cups finely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup jam or jelly
- In medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in flour and salt just until combined. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 F. Using hands, roll dough into balls 1-inch in diameter. Dip in egg white; then roll in nuts. Place, 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With thimble or thumb, press center of each cookie. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until a delicate golden brown. Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon jam or jelly in center of each cookie. (Diced candied fruit may be used instead of jelly, if desired.) Makes about 3 dozen.
I doubled the recipe here from the original and added salt for the use of unsalted butter (stick margarine can also be used). Try a variety of nuts and jams to make this cookie your own! Adapted from “McCall’s Cookie Collection” (advance publishers; 1965)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!