Meatloaf Shepherd’s (Cottage) Pie
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1/2 cup button or Portobello mushrooms diced
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 Tbs. fresh Italian parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbs. ketchup
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 scallions including green parts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick, cut into cubes
- Heat oven to 375 F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray, set aside. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat 2 Tbs. of olive oil. Sauté garlic, onions, bell pepper, celery, carrot and mushrooms until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, 2 remaining Tbs. olive oil, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and eggs. Add the sautéed veggies. Mix in bread crumbs to combine thoroughly. Press into casserole dish evenly.
- Bake meatloaf for approximately 50 minutes. Remove from oven. If using beef, carefully drain off most of the fat. Cover the meatloaf’s surface with 2 cups of the cheese. Return to the oven for 2 minutes. Remove.
- Mix mashed potatoes with scallions. Cover cheese-topped meatloaf with potatoes. Dot surface of the potatoes with cubes of butter and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes until surface of the potatoes is beginning to lightly brown. Allow the meatloaf pie to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serves 4 to 6.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!