Muffin Mix Buffet Bread
- 1 8-1/2-oz. pkg. corn muffin mix
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose or self-rising flour
- 1 10 3/4-oz. can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
- Grease two 8- or 9-inch square pans. Set aside 2 Tbs. of the dry muffin mix. In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water (105 to 115 degrees F). Add remaining dry muffin mix, 2 cups of the flour, soup and 1/4 cup of the melted butter; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gradually stir in remaining 2 cups flour to form a stiff dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth, about 1 minute. Cover; let rest 15 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough in half; press each half into greased pan. Cut each into 8 strips. Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup melted butter over loaves; sprinkle with reserved muffin mix. Cover. Let rise in warm place 12 to 15 minutes or until light. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans. Break apart or cut with knife. Serve warm. Makes 16 servings.
This recipe by Maxine Bullock—the only grand-prize winner from Kansas in the Pillsbury Bake-Off (1967)—is an easy-to-make pull-apart bread, perfect for brunches or family gatherings.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!