Oven Apple Butter
- 5 lbs. apples peeled and cored
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups brown sugar or to taste
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Cut apples into thin slices and place in a heavy saucepan with water and 1/4 cup of the vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and puree apples in a food processor or blender (an immersion blender also works well for this.) Return apple puree to heavy saucepan. Place remaining vinegar in another saucepan, boil and reduce to 1 cup. Add vinegar and remaining ingredients to pureed apples. Simmer gently for 30 minutes until thickened.
- Pour mixture into a glass baking dish. Bake in a (low-temp) 250-degree oven for up to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Spoon into sterilized jars and heat seal, or keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!