Sunday Pork Roast with Vegetables
- roasting pan
- 4 lb. pork shoulder roast one with fat preferred
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 tbsp. finely minced fresh rosemary and sage
- 2 yellow onions peeled, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 2 ribs celery cut into 3-imch lengths
- 3 cups light chicken or vegetable stock
- 5 large Idaho potatoes peeled and cut in half, lengthwise
- 8 large carrots scrubbed clean
- Rub pork shoulder roast with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Combine garlic powder and herbs and rub onto roast. Dust a large, flat pan with flour to cover the bottom. Press seasoned roast into flour on all sides so that it is evenly coated with a light layer of flour. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil a large skillet on medium-high. Sear the roast until golden brown and developing a crust, a few minutes per side.
- Add onions and celery to a large roasting pan. Nestle seared roast, so that the fat side is up, into the roasting pan with the onions and celery. Add the broth. Place in a preheated 325° to 340° oven. Cook, uncovered, for about one hour (you can baste with pan liquid occasionally, if desired).Add the potatoes and carrots to the pan, adding a little more water or broth, if necessary, to make sure the vegetables are bathing in liquid. Continue to bake the roast for up to another hour, until the veggies are firm, but fork tender, and the roast is tender and reads at least 140° to 150° on a meat thermometer. (Note: Cooking time will also depend on your oven and the thickness of the roast).
- Cover the roasting pan with lid or foil and let rest on the counter for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter. The pan juices can be used as is for a gravy or poured into a sauce pan, brought to a boil and thickened with a “slurry” made of 1Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the thickener to the boiling juices and let simmer for a few minutes, stirring, until the gravy has thickened.
Sodium: 1171mgCalcium: 179mgVitamin C: 70mgVitamin A: 21465IUSugar: 12gFiber: 11gPotassium: 3267mgCholesterol: 304mgCalories: 975kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 11gFat: 33gProtein: 97gCarbohydrates: 69gIron: 9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!