Tomato Soup with Homemade Croutons
- 4 to matoes
- 3 grilled red bell peppers in oil
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil plus additional for brushing on bread
- 3 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 basil leaves
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 slices crusty bread
- Cut small cross in bottom of tomatoes and submerge in boiling water 30 seconds. Let tomatoes cool in ice water 30 seconds then remove skins.
- In blender, blend tomatoes, red bell peppers, shallot, extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, to taste, until mixture is smooth. Add mixture to large pot and heat, stirring frequently.
- Cut bread slices, brush with olive oil and grill 2 minutes per side over medium-high heat until visible grill marks have formed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!